Friday, March 14, 2014

The Furthest Thing



Sometimes, which is becoming most of the time, I feel like a hot mess.
  • I still don't love myself the way God loves does.
  • I still can't seem to stick to a regular sleeping and working schedule. I buy these planners and calendars, create detailed schedules and never follow them.
  • I struggle with getting to work on time and have been late on days when I was being observed.
  • I'm still not being honest with everyone about how I feel and what I want.
  • I still can't let that guy go..even though he has been tap-dancing all over my heart and self-esteem.
  • I am starting to curse like a sailor.
  • I still refuse to let go of the past.
  • I'm not putting in as much effort as I should in my relationship with God. I'm giving Him pieces of me instead of all of me. I'm not making as much time for Him as He truly deserves.
I've made a lot of progress in the last few months, but while I now know who I am and who God created me to be, I haven't fully internalized and embraced it yet. In fact, for the last 2 weeks, I have been really putting myself down--I put myself down in conversations with others and instead of engaging in positive self-talk with myself, I have been reminding myself of the negative things that toxic people have spoke over my life and am holding onto it.

Because of my battle with self-love and low self-esteem, I often find myself becoming and being jealous of other women. I compare myself to them and always find myself coming up short. These feelings of insecurity and jealousy lead me to wanting to be someone other than the woman God created me to be. I forget that the only person I should be comparing myself to is the old Jenai. I start to see other women as competition or my enemy--which is even worse. I want to see all women as my sisters, as my friends, but my jealousy and insecurity make it hard to do that sometimes.

With all of this in mind, I wonder if I should have created Not of This World--should I be posting on Facebook, making YouTube videos and creating blog posts in an attempt to help, empower, support and guide other women when I'm obviously still battling my own inner demons?

And when I see other Christian women who have created safe communities and ministries, they seem to be so put together--they have successful careers, a healthy & happy marriage/relationship or they seem to be completely at peace with being single, they have mastered living healthily, they're empowered & confident & happy, they're intelligent, they have a close & stable relationship with God and they're freakin' beautiful--inside and out. It's like they're everything I'm...not. Or everything I'm trying to be, but for whatever reason, can't. I began to feel that maybe I shouldn't be trying to help anyone--I'm too much of a mess to do so.

But I'm starting to realize that no one is perfect--not even the people who seem like they are--and that I don't have to be perfect to do God's work and be a blessing to others. In fact, my flaws have helped to make me a beautiful woman who can empathize, support, love and accept others. They have blessed me with perspective and understanding.

When I think about being a mess and still being able to do good, I think of a scene on My Mad Fat Diary, a new show that is shown in the UK. Rae, the main character is a 16-year-old who is struggling with mental illness, among other issues. She has a therapist, named Kester. Kester is far from perfect--he's in the midst of a divorce and has been kicked out of his house. Due to his own personal issues--his divorce and the death of one of his clients, he took a leave of absence  In the scene I'm referring to, Rae has found Kester in his home, lying next to a toilet in what appears to be the aftermath of a very rough night.

They have a heart-to-heart, and in that heart-to-heart, Rae tells him, "I like that you're a mess. That's what makes you real, like us."

And that pulled my heartstrings.

"I like that you're a mess. That's what makes you real, like us."

I may be imperfect, I may even be a mess sometimes. And maybe my imperfections, my struggles, make me easier to relate to. Maybe it makes it easier for other women to see themselves in me. And when I succeed, when I overcome--and I will, they will be able to see that someone like them can make it out of their mess.

God didn't call me to be perfect. He called me to be Jenai--flaws and all. He also knows that I'm more than my flaws. He sees all of me, knows all of me and loves me unconditionally. I will continue to work on loving and seeing myself the way God does. I hope you continue to do the same.

Love,
Jenai H.


2 comments :

  1. Hi Jenai,

    I really can relate to this posts! Know that every woman deals with insecurity and envy of other women so you are not alone! I literally just wrote a post on my blog last week called "What Does She Have That I Don't" because I was going through this exact issue. The beautiful thing about being loved by God (and God does loves you!) is that (1) you are beautifully, wonderfully and UNIQUELY made and (2) what God has for you is *just* for you, so no need to feel jealous of the women you see online who appear to have it all together. As you say, "And when I succeed, when I overcome--and I will, they will be able to see that someone like them can make it out of their mess." This is true because what God has for you is YOURS, no one can take that away! He is still writing your story! When I think about my own failures and past screw-ups, I just tell myself that one day I will be sharing my story to thousands of women from the stage. Or its just another chapter in the book I'll write one day -- and I truly believe that! How you are feeling write now is all being woven together to create your unique success story so take heart and don't give up! You've already helped me see that I too, am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Courtney! In fact, I believe I have read your blog post as well. It means a lot to me to know that I'm not alone in my struggles and am glad to know that I have helped you to realize the same. That's the beauty of God using His people--through Him using us, not only do we bless others, but we are blessed ourselves and become one step closer to being the people God created us to be, along with meeting others who can fellowship and share the journey with us! :)

      Delete