Thursday, March 27, 2014

Yes, You Can!


As I look over the last few months--and even the last 2 years, I realize that I've been slowly, but surely moving out of my uncomfortable comfort zone.

You're probably thinking: "What is an uncomfortable comfort zone?"  And even if you're not, I'm still gonna tell you anyway, lol.

The "Uncomfortable Comfort Zone" is a termed coined by Natalie Lue, who runs a successful blog called Baggage Reclaim--which Natalie describes as a "tongue-in-cheek guide created to discuss the complexities of being a woman, the choices they make, and the dodgy men that add to their load." 

Now, back to uncomfortable comfort zone: The uncomfortable comfort zone is a zone that you're very familiar with--it's something you know, something you're used to--but this zone causes you a lot of pain, anxiety, and stress. Even though you're somewhat comfortable because you're familiar with it, you're also really uncomfortable because your comfort zone is actually very unhealthy and causes a lot of discomfort. 

I've been in an uncomfortable comfort zone for a long time--my uncomfortable comfort zone is me being in toxic relationships/friendships, hiding who I am in an attempt to please others, not being honest with others about my thoughts, feelings, needs and wants so that I can "keep the peace" and other unhealthy behaviors and thinking patterns. But I think I'm finally taking steps (baby steps, but steps nonetheless) out of it and it's ridiculously scary because the things I feared are happening or may happen, but I'm learning that it's not the end of the world--in fact, it may be the beautiful beginning to a new world in which I am happy, healthy and loving myself the way God does.

So, I challenge you: Take that first step--tell that man/woman who doesn't treat you the way God does to get the steppin', block those toxic people from your social media and from calling you--don't allow them access to you and your life anymore, wear that outfit that people said you "shouldn't" wear, dance in public for the first time--just do the things that you know are good for you but you're too scared to do because it's not what you're used to. 

If you're like me and afraid that the world will end if you step out of your uncomfortable comfort zone, I'll leave you with a poem from poet Nayyirah Waheed:

"I don't pay attention to the
world ending.
It has ended for me
many times
and began again in the morning."

Love,
Jenai H.

2 comments :

  1. The first step to any kind of meaningful growth is moving OUT of your comfort zone. Good luck to you during this transition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true--I've come to realize that change tends to happen outside, not inside of your comfort zone. That's when life seems to really begin. Thank you and I wish you the best as well!

      Delete